2024 Avout Racing Academy Colorado Springs
Do You Want to Crush your Fall High School MTB Season?
NEW for 2024 - Colorado Springs has been asking so the Avout Racing Academy is expanding south! Sign up by January 12 at 12pm for $100 off!!
Our Academy program is a race-focused program intended to prepare riders (current 8th graders and older) for the 2024 High School Mountain Bike Season. The Academy develops cyclists by focusing on the most important elements of competitive athletic development in a supportive environment. That means we spend a lot of time working on the skills, fitness, and mental focus needed to improve results in competition. Our comprehensive curriculum is built to continually challenge riders to improve while mastering different aspects of riding and building self-confidence along the way. Potential team members should be committed to their cycling growth. While most may be already racing, that is not a requirement. What is essential is a love of riding and a desire to improve.
The Academy program moves riding from “recreational fun” to a more competitive approach via our twice weekly practices in Colorado Springs. All Academy juniors will be able to opt into a generic training plan in Training Peaks. Our Academy juniors may have access to some of the components of the Selects program if they are ready to build a bridge to becoming a Select.
Get ahead of the competition with the Avout Racing Academy!
Academy Program Offerings for 2024:
MTB Practices: $699 (sign up by January 12 at 12pm for a $100 discount!)
- Requirements: Current 8th graders and older. Athletes need to ride a mountain bike with disc brakes and wheels 26" or larger. Gearing of 1x11 or 1x12 is recommended.
- Schedule: March 26 through July 11 building up to MTB Nationals July 17-21; Practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:30pm – 7:30pm.
- Tentative practice locations: North Cheyenne Canon, Ute Valley, Palmer Park, Stratton Open Space, Sante Fe Trail, Mt. Herman, Bear Creek Park
For those who are ready for more in 2024:
- Individualized Training Plan with Head Coach Mike Durner, Avout Racing Coach Matt McNamara, or Avout Racing Coach Ben Ollett (suggested age minimum is birth year 2012): $200 per month
- MTB Supported National Travel Races: price varies and will include bike transport, venue support, Avout Racing Oasis, coaching, mechanic, and option of team housing and food
Email Jessica@AvoutRacing.com with any questions.
Interested in coaching? We still need a few coaches for this program! You can choose to volunteer (with the fee of one junior waived) or be paid. Learn more and apply here: http://avoutracing.com/becomeacoach/
Applications open January 3 at 7pm
Register by January 10 for MTB so that juniors can receive a free jersey with registration and order other custom team kit (clothing) for delivery before the start of the session.
Mike Durner, Head Coach of the Avout Racing Academy Program in Colorado Springs
Mike is a USAC Level 1 Coach and NSCA Certified Strength & Conditioning Coach, who started racing mountain bikes at age 13 and raced on the NORBA circuit while in high school. Following high school, he went on to study exercise science at the University of Northern Colorado and then spent four years serving as an officer in the U.S. Army.
Following his time in the Army, Mike pursued a Master’s degree in Exercise Physiology at Kansas State University. Immediately after graduating, he joined the coaching team at Carmichael Training Systems, where he had the opportunity and privilege to work along side some of the U.S’s most accomplished coaches full time from 2006 until December 2010 and again as a contract coach from 2015 to 2018.
In 2010, Mike took the opportunity to join the coaching staff of U.S. Paralympic Cycling, working as a full time coach until the end of the 2015 season. He continues to work as National Team Coach for Paralympic Cycling in a contract role to present day.