2024 Avout Racing Academy
Are You an Up-and-Coming Star?
NEW for 2024: The Academy expands to Colorado Springs. Find more about that program here.
Our Littleton-based Academy program is a race-focused program that develops cyclists (ages 10 through 18) by focusing on the most important elements of competitive athletic development in a supportive environment. That means we spend a lot of time working on the skills, fitness, and mental focus needed to improve results in competition. Our comprehensive curriculum is built to continually challenge riders to improve while mastering different aspects of riding and building self-confidence along the way. Potential team members should be committed to their cycling growth. While most may be already racing, that is not a requirement. What is essential is a love of riding and a desire to improve.
The Academy program moves riding from “recreational fun” to a more competitive approach via our twice weekly practices in southwest Denver. All Academy juniors will be able to opt into a generic training plan in Training Peaks. Our Academy juniors may have access to some of the components of the Selects program if they are ready to build a bridge to becoming a Select.
Get ahead of the competition with the Avout Racing Academy!
Academy Program Offerings for 2024:
MTB Practices: $699
- Requirements: Age 10-18. Athletes need to ride a mountain bike with disc brakes and wheels 26" or larger. Gearing of 1x11 or 1x12 is recommended.
- Schedule: March 26 through July 11 building up to MTB Nationals July 17-21; Practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, generally with one practice a week in Ken-Caryl Valley and one practice a week at other locations in the southwest Denver metro area.
CX Practices: $599
- Requirements: Age 9-18. Athletes are recommended to ride a cyclocross bike, but starting on a mountain bike is a good option for those new to the sport.
- Tentative Schedule: August 12 through December 5 building up to CX Nationals December 12-15; CX practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Practices are from 6 – 7:30pm, getting earlier and shorter as we lose daylight, with practices from 4:15 – 5 pm by the end of the season in December. During the Back 2 Basics race series (Wednesday races), there are no Thursday practices.
For those who are ready for more in 2024:
- Off the Bike Strength Conditioning at Vitality Training Studio for riders 12+ (Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:30-7:30pm, January 9 - March 14): $375
- Individualized Training Plan with Coach Matt McNamara or Coach Ben Ollett (suggested age minimum is birth year 2012): $200 per month
- MTB and CX Supported National Travel Races: price varies and will include bike transport, venue support, Avout Racing Oasis, coaching, mechanic, and option of team housing and food
Email Jessica@AvoutRacing.com with any questions.
Applications open December 20* at 7pm for MTB and CX
Register by January 10 for MTB and June 1 for CX so that juniors can receive a free jersey with registration and order other custom team kit (clothing) for delivery before the start of the session.
*Ken-Caryl Residents and kids of Avout Racing coaches can register during the priority window beginning December 6.
Matt McNamara, Director of Avout Racing Academy Program
Coach Matt has over twenty years of coaching, racing, and team management experience ranging from juniors to masters, amateurs to professionals. Along the way he’s been fortunate to work with some of the best coaches and athletes in the world including Olympic and World Champions. He is a USA Cycling Level 1/Elite Coach with Distinction and has additional certifications in both Power and Skills Instruction. He was a Lead Coach at USA Cycling’s Regional Talent ID Camps for 10 years, including two trips to the Junior Tour of Ireland with Team USA, and has a degree in Kinesiology from the University of Colorado.